A drive out to the countryside north of Frederick, Maryland on windy roads are three covered bridges. Steeped in local history, these bridges carry us from the present into the past.
Loy’s Station Covered Bridge is located at 3600 Old Frederick Road in Thurmont.
Originally built in 1848 by an unknown builder and a supportive cement pier and steel beams were added in 1929-1930.
Built to last, one thing it wasn’t prepared for was an arsonist. Determined to benefit from insurance fraud, set fire to a truck inside the bridge. What original hardware, braces and rafters were salvaged and in three years, the bridge was rebuilt.
It is thought that after the Battle of Gettysburg, General George Meade crossed this bridge while in pursuit of the Confederate Army.
Just ten minutes from the Loy’s Station Covered Bridge is the Roddy Creek Covered Bridge, at 14760 Roddy Road, Thurmont. Known as the shortest remaining covered bridge in Maryland, this bridge was built between 1850 and 1856. This bridge has survived time, with only one neglectful driver in 1992 that tried to drive through the bridge with a truck too big.
Causing damage to the roof and trusses, repairs were made, along with other structural improvements. Well used today, this bridge has whispers that perhaps Confederate General JEB Stuart and his cavalry crossed this bridge on their way to Gettysburg.
The Utica Mills Covered Bridge is found on Fishing Creek on Utica Road, Utica, and was built between 1843 – 1850.
Built from salvaged materials from the Devilbliss Covered Bridge that was destroyed previously.
Moved from the Monocacy River this bridge has suffered through time and destructive bugs.
Having been restored and repaired several times, it still didn’t stop a couple of foolish drivers in thinking their great big trucks would fit through this small bridge.
These three bridges are proof that history with the strength of its community in preserving it will always persevere.